On Saturday, Sept. 29, the Orange Volunteer Fire Department was busy traveling from point to point across town, responding to calls for activated smoke alarms, fire alarms and carbon monoxide detectors.
After steam from a shower set off a smoke detector and smoke from cooking caused another alarm to go off, firefighters received a call on Grannis Road around 12:30 p.m.
The two story home was occupied by an elderly couple and three dogs, the chilly fall-like temperatures led them to light a fire in the fireplace to warm the house a bit.
According to Fire Marshal Tim Smith the damper in the fireplace was broken and although the homeowner opened it before lighting the fire , the flue was actually closed and the house began to fill with smoke.
“The smoke alarm did its job and went off, alerting the fire department before the residents even had a chance to dial the phone,” he said. “There was a high carbon monoxide level inside the house when firefighters arrived and Medic 33 was called to evaluate the occupants.”
No one, human or canine was injured in this incident.
The Volunteer firefighters used large fans to ventilate the home and checked for CO levels throughout the house to make sure it was safe for the family before they returned to the fire stations.